04 December 2007

Stem Cell Research

Much has been said one both sides of the issue about whether it is good or bad, or if it is legal or not, yada, yada.

We talked about this at this week's meeting of the Inkwell 4. And we have a few questions. Ok, let me see if I have this right. A fertilized embryo is considered a "person" whether in or out of the womb. And if a pregnant woman wants to have an abortion, the religious right says that is the murder of an unborn child. Right?

So, say my wife and I cannot conceive child and we go to a fertility clinic for help. They take my sperm and her eggs and fertilize them, then they implant the fertilzed eggs into my wife. Say 2 of the 10 fertilized eggs are implanted and the rest are then held to see if the implantation takes effect. Are you with me so far? Let say after a couple of weeks, the implant has taken. Now the unused fertilized eggs are then discarded.

But wait, is that not the killing of an unborn child? How can the destruction of the fertilized eggs be justified? The Religious Right needs to consider this when they start their coming protests on the use of stem cells for medical research.

CHUQ

No comments: